Thursday, September 3, 2009

Observation #1 : Church and Economy

I was walking around the north side after having visited the new art cinema in Smithfield with my dear friend Sophie -- who brilliantly hopped on a plane from London to help me flat hunt earlier this week -- and we paused to look at this beautiful church, which is certainly a landmark of an older Dublin:

 
We gazed up to look at the shiny brass plaque:


"Is that an @ sign?" Sophie said, with disbelief in her voice.

"Well, yes, I think it is," I responded, equally surprised.

Now that's the New Ireland.

Incidentally, the Lighthouse Cinema is a gorgeous space, with lots of crazy levels and interesting nooks and crannies. Sophie was drooling at the layout, thinking of all the arty events she could host there. I haven't seen a film there yet, because at last check, they were playing almost all the same films currently in rep at the Irish Film Institute on Eustace Street, which is just about my favourite place in town. I'm hoping the Lighthouse will diversify their offerings once we're out of the dreadful summer film season, because the IFI plays the same few films for over a week at a time, and I need more than that.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, @ is a very old religious symbol, or so my household theologostician tells me. Apparently, in Early Aramaic texts, "God" would be "G@d", "Jesus" would be "J@S@S", and "Hell" would be "F@#king H@ll". Interestingly, "Heaven" is simply "@.edu", an indication I suppose of their love of learning.
    xo Andrew

    ReplyDelete