Thursday, September 17, 2009

From one green place to another

I'm off to the Inishowen Peninsula on a short research trip, so more beautiful photos of green places will be arriving on the blog next week. But it's been a busy week getting down to work and planning out what I will see at the Dublin Theatre Festival, which starts next week, and coincidentally (for me) boasts Quebec's Robert Lepage as one of the big-name headliners...

But I realise I haven't posted on the blog in a while. I have so many quirky things to report, but they are going to have to wait. Until I return, here are some more photos of the hike at Howth - I went again last weekend, and had a beautiful sunny day, so I decided to do the longer walk, which should have been a 10km loop. But I got a bit lost on the way, and didn't loop back towards Howth when I should have, so I ended up at Sutton Cross, which is the town one DART stop closer to Dublin. It was a really long hike, and while I think the cliff walk before you get to the lighthouse is more awe-inspiring, the part after the lighthouse has its own charm.

Here's another, clearer pic of the walk up to the lighthouse. But the time you see this, you're most of the way there:


And here is a view once you've come around Howth head. Not as stunning, right?



My favourite part about the backend of the hike is that it brings you to this beach, which includes a rather treacherous set of stairs/rocky path combo to bring you down. I saw a family there with kids and a stroller, and I have no idea how they got it down... 



And here is what the rock formations look like at beach level. I stepped into the water, and it was surprisingly mild - I expected to get the freezing-pain feeling in my feet that I first experienced as a child at Cape Cod, but I was able to stay in it for a while. On a warmer day (haha, as if), I might even attempt a swim.


I paused for a little camera-timer action because I love this heather-strewn landscape. A friend pointed out that this is my 'Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man' pose, which wasn't the intention. It was actually a test shot to see if I was standing in the frame...



See you shortly. And don't be afraid to use the comment function below - I have no idea if anyone is actually reading this thing.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nat!
    I'm very much enjoying your blog! I also loved the video you posted of your flat. It looks like such a nice apartment. I've never seen cupboards that opened upwards like that before!
    Sounds like you are having a good time over there so far! Can't wait to read about more of your adventures in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos! I had to laugh at the family on the beach - I noticed during the trip I took to Ireland years ago that people there were oddly, inspiringly intrepid about cliffs and things. "What sign? Feck off with your signs!", etc. Looking forward to hearing about the festival and le great Lepage!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I have commented a few times already! We are reading it, are you reading our comments??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nat! Lovin your blog. Landscape looks gorgeous and Dublin seems like a very cool, edgy city. So jealous you'll be seeing Lepage, although after the 9-hour Lepage marathon we shared I'm sure the Fringe show will go by in a hop. At Krista's now writing you with a glass of Chilean red next to me. And very sore after a game of dodgeball this weekend, as part of Andy's stag (he's getting married in less than two weeks!). Anyway, just wanted to say hi and to let you know that yes, indeed, your blog is being followed :).
    xo,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nat

    I read your blog and it is great to see and be informed of what you are doing so far away. Love the pics you are taking and always look forward to the next part of your one year adventure? in Ireland. Love you. Dad xoxo

    ReplyDelete