Friday, August 28, 2009

Yamamori Noodles, yummm

Today my new colleague Lisa took me on a city centre walking tour that had three themes: cheap eats, cheap electronics (my request), and useful libraries/archives (isn't this everyone's perfect walking tour of a new city?) We had lunch at Yamamori on South Great Georges Street, but I see that they have two locations. The atmosphere was fresh and lively, but not swank and chi-chi as the cheese-oid music on their website might suggest. Around 1pm, we seemed to be the only people in the place, but by 3pm it was packed - a fact that I only realised when I noticed I was sort of yelling at her over my bowl of noodles.

Happy to find ramen on the menu, I ordered the seafood version. (Ramen is hard to come by in Toronto, and the one new place that features it in TO -- Kenzo Ramen on Dundas St. -- proved to be a bit disappointing when I went there a few months ago with my friend Phil). Anyhoo, in expensive Dublin, I was expecting that for 10 Euros I would get a tiny bowl with canned salad shrimp and pollocky fish balls. Moments later, a massive steaming bowl of fresh seafood, veggies, and noodles arrived. The broth was a silky miso-garlic combination (I couldn't taste the oyster sauce that was listed on the menu), the prawns tasted like lobster, and overall, it was very good. I even had to leave some behind, but that might be blamed on the jet-lag. Thanks, Lisa!

P.S. Speaking of foods tasting differently, the cottage cheese here is DEElicious! It tastes...cheesier.

2 comments:

  1. I find that a lot of dairy in Ireland just tastes better. Chessier and creamier: what could be wrong with that! And I am SHOCKED you got good ramen in Dublin. I ate at a Japanese place there and it was terrible! But I was only after arriving from Japan, so maybe my standards were a little skewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yamamori sounds like my kind of restaurant. Noodles, fresh steaming seafood and veggies is the ticket. Bookmark this retaurant for me because when I come to Dublin I want to go there! Dad

    ReplyDelete