Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Canadian Expat in Ireland: Preparation and Arrival

 
So, I've just arrived in Dublin from Toronto. I have a one year research contract at a world class institution, Dublin is a fantastic world-class city, but I don't know a soul in the city, and this is my first time living abroad. I know that I have a lot to learn.

I am hoping that this blog will serve as both a record of my travails, and as a guide of sorts to others contemplating the same kind of move. I'll start with the boring but important stuff first, and then I plan to paint this town red and get to the good stuff about Dublin...

There are many things one must accomplish when arriving in Ireland without EU passport, and each thing seems to depend on the other one already having been accomplished. For example, I need to find a flat ASAP, but when I find that flat, I have to provide a deposit. Well, one needs a local bank account in order to write a cheque (unless you want to carry around a couple thousand Euro in your purse or pockets). Guess what the banks want in order to get an account? An address. Back to square one. I also need an address in order to get myself a mobile phone with any decent kind of monthly plan. But many letting companies advertising on Daft.ie (the major accomodations listing site) ask you to 'text' them - using your mobile - to set up an appointment. Hello again, square one. And finding a flat and bank account assumes you've actually already entered Ireland, and there are a few things you need to do before you arrive at the airport and hope that they let you stay. So, onto these boring but essential details...

No comments:

Post a Comment